Pre-workout supplements are taken before a workout and are intended to increase energy, enhance focus, and reduce fatigue during exercises. This improves performance resulting in faster results. These supplements are of two types namely; stimulant and non-stimulant. Stimulant pre-workout supplements make you stay awake and are best used during the day. The benefit of taking non-stimulant supplements is that you get quality sleep. It takes time for one to see any changes while using these supplements, but the results are worthwhile.
The best pre workout supplement should have the following key ingredients;
• Caffeine: It helps you shed weight by boosting energy and strength and promoting muscle endurance. It also increases anaerobic performance and reduces fatigue.
• Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs): These include Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine in 2:1:1 ratio. These amino acids help increase protein synthesis and inhibit their breakdown. This aids in preventing the development of muscle soreness in the following day.
• Beta-Alanine: This amino acid’s role is hydrogen ion buffering. As a result, the body gets an energy boost to keep going for longer. It also reduces fatigue
• Creatine Monohydrate: Creatine provides an energy source for your muscles.
Benefits of taking pre workout supplements
• Improved performance during workouts
• Increased strength and stamina
• Enhanced protein synthesis
• Improved focus
• Increased nutrient delivery, absorption, and assimilation
Some of the best pre-workout supplements in the market include;
1. PreSeries BULK: It contains Citrulline Malate that aid in improving focus and boosting energy. In addition, it has Beta- Alanine and BCAA that promote muscle endurance.
2. Pre JYM by Jim Stoppani: It is comprised of 13 ingredients and has a proven track record. Pre Jym is regarded as the most effective existing pre-workout pill.
3. Assault by MusclePharm: This is a great supplement with high safety approval. Its Citrulline content is controlled and it lacks D-aspartic acid, thus, is suitable for heavy workouts.
4. Cellucor C4: It was introduced in the market in 2011. This supplement contains Teacor, which is a great energy booster.
5. Bullnox Androrush: It contains Creatine, which provides an energy pump. Bullnox has also been shown to stimulate testosterone production, thereby enhancing masculine features.
6. Anarchy by Muscletech: This supplement provides an energy boost and improves focus. In addition, it improves lean muscle mass. It’s a good supplement for beginners. It’s also cheap.
7. Pre-Kaged: Citrulline forms one of its ingredients in addition to BCAAs, Leucine, and Taurine. It boosts energy and improves focus.
8. 4 Gauge: It has L-Citrulline and L- Theanine. This supplement enhances energy and mental focus. It also burns body fat and aids in lean muscle gain. 4 Gauge is suitable for vegetarians.
9. ENGN: It is formulated to promote visual focus, improve brain activity and energy pump. Some of its ingredients include Caffeine, L-Tyrosine among others.
• Nausea and vomiting
• Pain in chest
• Sleeping problems
• High blood pressure
• Kidney problems
• Tingly sensation
Taking pre workout supplements give you the much-needed boost to keep pushing on during workouts. While using these supplements, it’s advisable that one adheres to correct doses to avoid side effects. These supplements have more benefits than cons, therefore their use is advisable. Before taking any of these supplements, seek medical advice from your doctor and use in people below 18 years is discouraged.